Black Breastfeeding Week 2014 celebrates black families–their beauty, power and ability to support healthier babies and healthier moms with breastfeeding. There will be a number of local and national activities in support of Black Breastfeeding Week.
- August 25-31: The #BlackFamsRock ExperienceCreated in partnership with Lowekey Media’s SongBooth App, the #BlackFamsRock Experience invites families to upload a 30-second video of their family “rocking out” to their favorite family song, and then share it with their social networks, using the hash tag #BlackFamsRock. A fan favorite video will be highlighted every day during Black Breastfeeding Week.
- August 25: Kick-Off Monday Stories of success: Celebratory memes on Facebook.
- August 25-31: Virtual Mama’s Milk Hotline Virtual Q&A with Breastfeeding Peer Counselors, Certified Lactation Educators and International Board Certified Lactation Consultants.
- August 26: #BlackFamsRock #BBW14 Twitter ChatLive chat about family, breastfeeding and social support with @BlkBfingWeek, @BMBFA, @MochaManual, @FreetoBF, @EbonyMAG, @matermea
- August 27: Black Mothers’ Breastfeeding Club WebinarReplicating what works for mothers: Learn about a Black Mothers’ Breastfeeding Club model.
- August 27: #WellnessWed Twitter ChatWhat does breastfeeding have to do with overall wellness? Join the live chat with @BlkBfingWeek, @BMBFA, @MochaManual, @FreetoBF, @MomsRising, @Support_ROSE, @USbreastfeeding, @nycHealthy
- August 28: Black Breastfeeding Week Facebook Party”Natural, Naughty, Nasty: Real Talk on Breastfeeding and Parenting,” hosted by Ashley Wright a.k.a. MsWrightsWay and Sholanda Smith a.k.a BlackWomenDoBreastfeed.
- August 29-31: Community Events Communities are invited to host their own events, such as a Black Families Rock Summit, A Black Families Rock Talent Show, or an It’s Only Natural informational session about breastfeeding (for which facilitation resources are available from the U.S. Office of Women’s Health).
Check blackbreastfeedingweek.org for updates and more details.